On occasion, there is a need to change a prior year’s tax return. An amended return can result in either an additional refund for a taxpayer. Furthermore, an additional payment may be due to Uncle Sam.
How to amend
To amend a Form 1040, the standard form filed by most U.S. taxpayers, a taxpayer has to file form 1040X and copies of any schedules and/or forms which are being changed or were not included originally.
For help amending a return or preparing your 2018 taxes, meet with Tom.
If you happened to make an error on your tax return, don’t panic. If you receive a refund check from the IRS which is incorrect and you have not cashed it, you should return the refund check to the IRS along with your amended return as soon as possible.
First you will have to write “Void” on the back of the check in the endorsement section. Mail the check to the appropriate IRS location based upon the city named on the bottom text line of your erroneous check, listed right before “tax refund.” While returning your check do not paperclip, bend or staple the check. Include a note stating, “return of erroneous refund check because (and state why the check is being returned.)”
Possible addresses to return refund checks to are:
- ANDOVER – Internal Revenue Service, 310 Lowell Street, Andover MA 01810
- ATLANTA – Internal Revenue Service, 4800 Buford Highway, Chamblee GA 30341
- AUSTIN – Internal Revenue Service, 3651 South Interregional Highway 35, Austin TX 78741
- BRKHAVN – Internal Revenue Service, 5000 Corporate Ct., Holtsville NY 11742
- CNCNATI – Internal Revenue Service, 201 West Rivercenter Blvd., Covington KY 41011
- FRESNO – Internal Revenue Service, 5045 East Butler Avenue, Fresno CA 93727
- KANS CY – Internal Revenue Service, 333 W. Pershing Road, Kansas City MO 64108-4302
- MEMPHIS – Internal Revenue Service, 5333 Getwell Road, Memphis TN 38118
- OGDEN – Internal Revenue Service, 1973 Rulon White Blvd., Ogden UT 84201
- PHILA – Internal Revenue Service, 2970 Market St., Philadelphia PA 19104
If your check was cashed or processed via direct deposit, consult the IRS’ website with how to proceed.
Amending, a timeline
In addition you have to file amended returns within a time limit to be granted a refund or credit. Consequently, that limit is generally three years after timely filing your original return or within two years of the initial payment of the tax due, whichever comes later.
After filing an amended return, the IRS states it make take up to 16 weeks to process an amended return.